Saturday 6 September 2014

The specialness of a daddy. The sacrifice and adoration.

My girls have a favourite song. And every time it plays I'm reminded of the specialness and the difficulty in being a daddy.

They dance around the lounge room to this song. Sometimes they even dance with Craig, yet it will be some years before I think they will truly realise the meaning behind the words they sing.


I am blessed to have awesome parents. My memories involving my own dad are wonderful.


I remember being a child, listening for the sound of his motorbike approaching our house. On hearing it I would run outside to meet him and he would always let us beep the horn.

I remember wondering why he was always warm, especially his hands. There were many times that his hands warmed mine.


He would always pretend to hypnotise the bottle/jar cap of something I was struggling to open, and I would stand amazed that it would always work as he would open it easily.

I remember my horrible teenage years, fighting with my dad, and stomping off to my bedroom. I know now that this helped the natural people-pleaser in me learn how to say no and stick to my own beliefs, unswayed by the crowd.

I remember the moment I told my dad I had just become engaged, and feeling him hold me tight, seeing his eyes glisten as I pulled away to tell my family all about the proposal.

I remember him walking me down the aisle at my wedding, knowing that our relationship had now changed forever.

Seeing him hold his first grandchild, so small in his arms, I found it almost unbelievable that he once held me the exact same way so many years ago.

I recall all the fixing and helping that he has silently endured for all the years in between, that all at once remind me of the the scene in 'the princess bride' where the meaning for the words "as you wish" are revealed.

I smile at the way he still says "hello big girl" as he hears my voice on the other end of the telephone. Every time. With the sound of happiness no matter what is going on with him at the time.

I look back and remember being completely loved, supported, and safe. My dad is most definitely the strong and silent type, so my relationship with him is where I learnt that love is most often found in actions, not words. Words are too easy. The care, time, and sometimes just hard work, says so much more.

They say that girls choose to marry a man like their father. In many ways I can see that.

As a mother I have been given the opportunity to see things from the other side, by watching my husband, and it makes me appreciate my memories all the more.

I see the sacrifice made daily, as an often tired dad plays and takes children on bike rides and reads endless stories to little ones snuggled in his lap. I see the constant struggle it is for a dad to provide in a monetary way for his family, but at the same time trying so hard to find the time to connect with his wife and children. I realise how hard all the overtime is now, and was then. I am confronted with the reality that dads question their ability to be a good parent just as much as mums do; only without the constant support I experience from other mothers.

I am blessed to experience the utter joy and complete love a dad feels when he is with his children, and know that protecting them is something he would do with everything in him, in a heart beat, without question.

My children may not realise the meaning behind the words they sing and dance to right now. But I do. It's every dad's plight.

And as I see Lucy's eyes light up as she hears her daddy's motorbike approach, and she gets up to run to the door, I know that one day she will hear the song she has listened to so many times, once again. Only this time she will understand the words and silently thank the man who has given her all too much to ever properly thank him for.

To my dad, my husband, and all the amazing dads out there doing their best: thank you. Know that your children see you trying so hard and feel your amazing love, even if they don't always show gratefulness.

One day, maybe many years from now, they may just find themselves sitting at a computer, reflecting on your influence, and realise just how much you gave to be the one, who will always be worthy of one of the most precious titles anywhere on earth: daddy.


The song: Dance with Cinderella

She spins and she sways to whatever song plays,
Without a care in the world.
And I'm sitting here with the weight of the world on my shoulders.
It's been a long day and there's still work to do,
She's pulling at me, saying "dad I need you,
There's a ball at the castle and I've been invited,
But I need to practice my dancing.
Please, daddy, please."

So I'll dance with Cinderella, while she is here in my arms,
because I know something the prince never knew.

So I'll dance with Cinderella, I don't want to miss even one song,
'Cause all too soon, the clock will strike midnight,
And she'll be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment