Friday 29 May 2015

5 Tips Friday: Getting more creative projects FINISHED.

Most of the fun and enjoyment is found in the process when creating. There did come a point however, when I felt overwhelmed with too many unfinished projects and just wanted to see some finished.

I guess I could have just told myself: 'stop making excuses and just do it', like I have read in countless places, but that really wouldn't have been very helpful! Other tips I've read are: do less projects, take time from other things, insist on 'me' time, and more. BUT for me, um NO. I like to shoot for the stars, try new things, AND spend lots of time with Craig and the kids. 'Me' time just doesn't exist, and that's fine.


Instead, here is the top 5 secrets I have found for getting my creative projects finished:

1) Use the right, good quality tools. Better yet, use beautiful ones.

Using blunt scissors is just painful. Old needles are frustrating. And other items can delay a project getting finished because they just don't work very well. The right tools can see a project finished much sooner, not only because the project is easier, but also because the maker is much happier to continue with the project.

Using beautiful materials and tools can also be inspiring. Using lovely scissors, or a cute measuring tape can make going back to a project fun. It also makes it much easier to do Number 4.

2) Be tough on yourself about buying more supplies.

Oh aren't all the new things beautiful! Isn't it tempting to try something new and exciting! But you just can't buy all the time. Not if you want to get your current project or projects finished. Set a limit and stick to it. For example: no buying any more fabric until the two dresses I have cut out are finished.

3) Don't get up from a creative session at a part of the project you don't like.

If I leave a moment or two of sewing when I am up to putting gathered sleeves in, or having to rethread the bobbin and machine, or putting a zipper in, the likelihood that I will be enthusiastic about picking up my project to get a bit more done later is slim. I will put off returning to my sewing desk because these are not fun for me. I am much more likely to WANT to go back to finish a project if I am at the start of it, or have some easy bits I am up to, or close to the end.

ONE EXCEPTION!!!!
When it's all going wrong, and you start making lots of mistakes AND you are getting cranky: get up and have a break.

A few mistakes can snowball quickly into big mistakes when my head isn't clear. I make it a rule that when my project is not going well, I get up, have something to eat, get the washing in or play with the kids in the sunshine, or have a cuppa. Really anything to give my project some space. Usually when I go back to it later with a clear head I can easily see where I have gone wrong and how to fix the mistakes, without too much drama.

4) Don't put your project away.

As soon as I put a project in a box, or cupboard, I am realistically not going to pick it up again for a long while. The more effort it takes me to actually get back to a project, the more likely I am to put off picking it up. That's part of the reason why my sewing desk is in the lounge room. I think homes should reflect the people who live in them, rather than a simple display piece for occasional visitors and as a backdrop for Instagram photos. My projects are sitting on the desk and in an open wire basket under the desk, and I love it. I can pick something up to hand sew, while chatting to the kids as they eat their afternoon snacks. It fits with how we live AND I am able to finish off many projects without even noticing. The kids also benefit from seeing the process, from, planning, preparing, making and finishing.


5) Use idle time.

This has been one of my greatest discoveries since having more children. I discovered that there was lots of waiting, in-between times. Well, not LOTS, but some at least. These are times waiting at appointments or for after school activities with the kids, waiting for the kids to get their shoes on/brush teeth/get dressed/anything, and while they are eating snacks, doing their homework etc. They need a little verbal prompting at these times, but don't need my full undivided attention. I can sit sewing (especially hand sewing) or knitting while I'm chatting with them.

I often use idle time while waiting for shoes to be put on, checking Instagram, or Pinterest for upcoming party ideas. It makes me less cranky because I am always ready at least five minutes before anyone else (except Daisy, who gets their shoes out sometimes and tells them to hurry up).

As a bonus with homework, I can 'act' terribly busy with a stitch or two when I want them to push through and ATTEMPT a question that I know is within their grasp. It's a bit too easy to ask mummy and not try sometimes. I would even suggest to parents helping with homework to sit at the same table/close by doing something simple for this purpose. Cross words, colouring in, sketching etc are all good choices if you don't have a creative outlet you love. The phrase "just have a try while I finish this stitch/word/etc and I'll be with you in a minute" is a very important one, especially for children who lack the confidence to have a go.


What are your top tips for getting creative projects finished?

Jen.x

No comments:

Post a Comment