Thursday 14 May 2015

Five tips Friday: Making time.

Time. My most valuable resource. I truly feel like I often lack the amount I need, but somehow I manage to find enough to get to what is most important.

So what are some of the ways I make time in my week to, well, survive having 5 kids?


These are just 5 ways I make time for the important stuff:

1) Decide what is most important, and never forget it. 

If I keep my mind fixed on what I consider to be most important in my life, it makes it hard to make decisions which mean that these important things don't happen.


2) Have clear boundaries with others. Communicate simply and stick to it.

This can be a tricky thing to do, but is great for all concerned. By all means, help and love people, but be direct with others about availability etc. I am clear about when I am available and what for. I put the needs of my children first. If I want Craig to do something for me, I ask him plainly, with no manipulation. And if he says no, I deal with it, without sulking. After all he is allowed his own boundaries too. As do others, which is something I readily accept. We all have our limits, and they are not all the same, because we are all different. I try to not use manipulation and refuse to do things out of duty with a resentful heart. I am much more effective and get more done when I am being genuine.

If I mean no, I say no. If my children bring me poorly scrawled work that they would like me to look over and correct, I tell them that I will be happy to when they write it in a way I can read it (that is to the standard that we both know is their best). If I am asked to do something I am not able to, I say so. If I am really excited or happy about something, I also talk about it. Clear and precise: fair to all.

3) Just get started. And get organised!

Procrastinating is such a big time waster, and it takes up so much head space. Don't know where to start because the job seems so overwhelming and big? Just get started and do something small. Success breeds success. When doing a big project the hardest part is the first part, so just jump in. I find after doing one little thing, I easily move onto another, then another, and then it's done! And it clears head space and time for more enjoyable things.

Organisation and getting rid of all the things we don't need is such an important part of making time for what is important. There are hundreds of articles out there on how to do this. Just remember: get started now. It only takes 5 minutes to make the first step!

4) Remember families are a team: everyone should be helping out.

We all work hard here. ALL. Craig is just as likely to be found cleaning as I am. We are most definitely a team, trying extremely hard to get the kids to be on our side and help too (a battle that is still trying to be won). We try hard to keep the kids accountable for what they are supposed to be doing, which can be a little tricky because there are so many of them. Being a teacher really helps here, because I know what children at each of their ages are actually capable of, so I make sure that they do what they can. If they are having real trouble, I will help, but not do it for them. If I help reorganise or clean their rooms, they will each be cleaning in a different area of the house, while I do it. Responsibility is learned over time, and there is still more than enough time when not helping out to play and play and play!


5) Use the Pinterest ideas you have pinned (or feel free to use mine).

I completely love Pinterest. I know some people find it to be a time waster, but not me. My boards on simplifying, rhythms of the day, minimalism, etc are so inspiring. I find if I'm having an off day, and feel like I do not have enough time or energy to get anything done, 5 minutes looking at these blog posts and pictures I have pinned to these boards really gives me the boost I need. I remember what my goals are, what's important to me, and I am reminded of some of the great ideas I've had to get it all done. If the kid's rooms need a revamp or I need the kids to be motivated, they will sit down and look at my "Just gorgeous kid's spaces" board and soon enough we are all the same track.

So these are just 5 ways I make time in my life for important things. What are 5 of yours?

Jen.x

No comments:

Post a Comment