Tuesday 16 December 2014

'Welcome to summer' gift. How we say goodbye to the school year and hello to summer!

Wow, I am exhausted! I am sure my kids are too. I've spent the last two days trying to get all the last Christmas gifts and I think I am down to the last one (with the exception of two waiting-for-the-post gifts.) So this can mean only one thing: holidays are just about here!

We are all excited that tomorrow will be the last day of school and the beginning of the holidays, but I am mindful that this transition can be a bit difficult for my little ones. As the routine and rhythm of the school year draws to a close, for me I see time open up presenting us with endless opportunities and fun. But I am aware that this beginning is also an end to a time that my children have enjoyed and will never look exactly the same again. Year 1 gives way to Year 2 and that is all too big and unknown. And the holidays themselves are less structured and an unknown too.

So big feelings (i.e. meltdowns) can show themselves on such a special day.

In answer to this, last year I started a tradition, another special moment to add to the rhythm of our year. I find that having moments such as these, marking beginnings, ends and special occasions really helps to create that 'us' feeling, that sense of belonging that is so important to a family.

The tradition is the 'Welcome to summer' box. In general it is just a large box filled with summer holidays things. I don't spend a great deal of money on it or go out especially to buy things for it. As I go about our regular routine I pick up a few items here and there. My last Costco trip was great for this.

This year I included the following:

Smooze ice blocks (3 large boxes)


Writing pads


Water balloons


Tinned pineapple


New goggles


Last year I included a Christmas puzzle that we doing now. I got it out a little early this year and we have all been working on it. Well all of us except Daisy!


I put all the items in a huge Costco Huggies nappy box and wrapped it up. Then I spent a minute decorating the wrapping. All up I don't think I spent more than 15 minutes on it.


It is a really simple and great way to start an exciting time of the year.

One day to go!!!

Jen.x

No comments:

Post a Comment