Friday 3 October 2014

Making a writing box. I can't believe I'm talking Christmas already!

It's October. October. As in October, November, December. Christmas is in December.

With a busy fourth and final school term for 2014 about to begin, I have been slowly starting to prepare for Christmas. It seems too soon, but memories of years past have me highly motivated. I want a more fun and less rushed December. I really, really do. So getting organised and just starting preparations is an absolute must. I have gotten closer to my goal every year, and this year I'm hoping I can truly get there.

To start with I'll look at what really worked last year. This will help my family plan for this year. Once I've written up my plan I'll let you know!

I'll start with something easy and fun to make up. When thinking gifts, one gift that has continued to give all year is the writing box.

I am especially glad that they have been so popular because I designed and put them together myself. My middle daughters were both recipients of writing boxes, as they both adore writing of any kind. Letters, cards, stories, and more. They make everything from bookmarks to cards to handmade chapter books. These boxes have helped to foster this love, and encourage further development in this area.


Note: Most of the included photos were taken today. As the writing boxes were Christmas presents from last year, the supplies are a little low and some have changed/been used. The photos of the original boxes can be found at the end, but are of poorer quality (pre-blogging days!!)

Inclusions

A box. I chose one that matches our decor as the study is in the centre of the house and I planned to have the box on display on the open shelves.


2 Pencil boxes/tins. I chose boxes that were from the same range as the box above.


Pencils, pens, erasers.


Plain writing pad of lined paper


Patterned cover lined note book

Silver and regular post-prefered envelopes

Coloured sticky notes of various sizes


Washi tape

String

Blank cards with envelopes packs (pearlised options, in small and large size, as below)


Patterned middle size card pack (100 pack between 2 girls), tied with twine


Small blank/framed note pad with tear off sheets


Small square pad of scrapbooking paper


Other types of paper, such as shiny, embossed, contact sheets, postcard size scrapbooking paper, and/or glitter paper.


Stickers and envelope seals


Sticky gems, flowers, decorations


Where to buy

The supplies can be purchased from a regular department store. Most of the supplies listed were found in the scrapbooking section and stationary section of Kmart. Additional supplies may be found at a craft store like Spotlight or an office supplier like Officeworks.

The things the girls added/changed

The things they added made me smile, because they were quite reflective of their individual personalities.

Lucy: She had added a small ruler, special pearl-like coloured pencils, more erasers, and more envelopes. She had used the stickers and craft supplies sparingly (too special!) and had used an even amount of the remaining items.


Isabel: She added many more stickers, different types of paper, more lead pencils (all with different looks), little note books, glitter glue, and a diary. Erasers were nowhere to be found. She had used a great deal of everything. Instead of removing scrapbooking paper, she actually cut what she needed without removing the page. The box was filled with just-in-case-scraps, which I have thrown out. She didn't mind at all, so excited about how beautiful it looked, like when she received it.



Lucy's writing box now:





Isabel's writing box now:







The writing boxes when originally made:




The girls have spent hours using these boxes. I will buy a few more supplies for Christmas, to top the boxes up, and will make one for Henry. I will include a list of addresses and real stamps for each of the children this time, as they would have liked to post their cards and letters. I may even consider adding needed items to our advent calendar. But that's a topic for another day. Enjoy.x

2 comments: