Tuesday 26 August 2014

It's all about the washing. Dreaming of a dryer and the before-them-me.

So I don't know about other mummies, but when rain comes calling, all my thoughts turn to washing. There is a stress that is attached to rain that I never knew in the life of the before-kids-me.


There is a maths equation that just does not work out around here. Wet washing x 7 + too much rain - (3 airers + 1 x 5.5kg dryer) = ? I wish the answer was 'all clean and dry clothes'. Unfortunately the real answer is 'currently no clean/dry work pants for tomorrow.'

The washing is on now and I will be making full use of the gas heater to make sure they are dry; but stress. About CLOTHES. This is not life or death. It's just plain irritating. There are many problems out there that need my attention. I just can't see them over the pile of clothes in the way right now.

Then today another mum shared that she has a 7.5kg dryer that has a 6 star energy rating. Yep. No dryer guilt and it's huge. That family probably has lots of clean AND dry clothes in their house. Slightly jealous and in awe, to say the least. And that got me thinking.

As I drove home I was dreaming about a dryer. A dryer. Sitting there, imagining going home to piles of clean, dry clothes, I realised how much of the mummy-me bears absolutely no resemblance to the before-them-me.

I remember deciding that I wouldn't be one to change who I am for kids. Ha! Hands up all who were dragged kicking and screaming into the after-kids-version-of-you. For me, that 'I'm not changing' decision lays clearly at the bottom of the bin along with "my kids won't watch TV until they are two" and "I won't let my baby rule the house" (side note: he who cries the loudest, longest, wins here. No contest.)

It's all good though. I've let go of so much stuff that didn't matter, to take hold of life now. Even the horrible washing on rainy days is completely ok, when I look at the family attached to it. It's just one of those moments when I realise that a massive shift has taken place, so slowly, that I didn't even notice it happening.

Life is so much more fun and exciting now. Seeing things through their eyes is amazing. The laughing out loud that happens so often can't be beat.

Still, I wouldn't say no to opening the before-them-me's closet tomorrow morning. All that heartache choosing what to wear would be really nice about now;)

Anyway. The sun will come out. The washing will get done. And I'll get to those other more importantly things waiting for me and stop dreaming about dryers and the before-them-me.

Right now I'm content, thinking of all of you - my village - all dealing with the rain-washing situation too, separated only by distance. I hope for clean and dry clothes for all of you too.x

No comments:

Post a Comment